Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Icelandic language!

Hello! Or should I say "hallo"? In case you are wondering, "hallo" is Icelandic for the English greeting "hello". Here in Iceland, we mainly speak the obvious language, Icelandic. Although we are taught both Danish and English at a young age, our first language is still Icelandic. Icelandic is a North Germanic language. It is quite similar to the Faroese language and various dialects such as the Norwegian dialect. This includes Telemark and Sognamal. It can be really complicated, but if you learn it as a child, it's relatively easy (most of the time). Our language is very similar to the Latin language. However, there are some variations. For one thing, some of the verb and noun usage is different. I have already told you what the most common greeting in Icelandic is. Some of the others include takk, which is thank you, and talor pu islenku, which is "do you speak Icelandic?" Well, I've got to run, so vertu blessadur (goodbye)! By the way, these are some of my favorite pictures. They are photos of an Icelandic city, my family cottage, and my best friend's adorable sheepdog!

No comments:

Post a Comment